Wednesday 10 February 2016

We talk the talk, now let's walk the walk

Last week I attended a two day 'Women Managing the Farm' conference here in Manhattan, Kansas. The conference provided a good platform from which to meet other women working in agriculture, and covered educational content in farming and ranching, along with industry best practice and advice. I enjoyed the two days and met some fantastic women and certainly learned a lot about the agricultural industry here in America. However, with my enthusiasm for this industry event came some sincere disappointment. Disappointment in the constant promotion of women as superior to men in agriculture. Disappointment in the overcompensation apparently necessary to justify such an event. Disappointment in the regularity with which I heard women speak of their expected secondary roles in family businesses. And the reality that the majority of the women I spoke to openly and happily played 'second fiddle' to their male partners.

I spoke with a number of women over the two days; young and old, experienced ranchers and those new to the industry, those working in a partnership and those working for corporates, industry professionals and those keeping the home fires burning. I spoke with a young woman, a passionate teacher, who had to find employment in another area because "there weren't any teaching jobs where my husband was based". I heard a story of a woman who moved to her husband's ranch only to be told on her first day that she should "go inside and make lunch" rather than be out in the paddock fencing; a 'rule' which she subsequently adhered to.

I spoke with a young woman in her mid twenties who showed earnest disappointment in having to leave her job on her family farm because her boyfriend wasn't a farmer. When I asked her how her partner not being a rancher prevented her from continuing in her work she replied, "Well he's not a farmer, and there's no jobs around here so we'll have to move somewhere where he can work in his industry". I was incredulous not that she would make a kind and substantial sacrifice for her partner, but that she would walk away from her rightful and no doubt hard earned position in her family farming business as if she had no option to stay.

Add to this, overhearing a conversation between college students in which they related a regular term used amongst young female agricultural faculty students who claim they attend college to gain an "M.R.S." or "Missus" degree. More simply put, they come to college not to further their educational and vocational skills and prospects but to find a husband so they can marry and not undertake employment.

I'm certainly not against women choosing to take a role in their family other than professional, nor am I against women making the choice to have a secondary, support or 'behind the scenes' role on the farm, but I feel very disappointed when someone gives up their professional aspirations, no questions asked, because that is the expectation. In no way do I mean to diminish the important and central roles of women and mothers as primary caregivers, as 'stay at home' mums, as family matriarchs and as business partners. But I strongly believe that if a woman chooses to be something other than one of those roles, than that is a valid choice which should be accepted and respected. Why should a woman relinquish her professional opportunities at the directive of another?

The conference talked big on women in agriculture and of women being the foundation of the agriculture industry, but I don't believe that to be true. Until I see women making independent choices and gender equality becomes more than just lip-service at a conference, I won't be content to accept the apparent sexism which so many women find legitimate. Nor will I promote the role of women in agriculture as superior to that of men. My hope is that one day, women and men can work side by side in whichever area of agriculture they choose, regardless of their gender, based solely on their ability and performance. In the words of Oprah Winfrey: "Excellence is the best deterrent to sexism".

No comments:

Post a Comment